Techniques for Stress Management
Improving your ability to handle stress is not impossible. You may not be able to eliminate stress from your life completely, but through these techniques, you can control how much it affects you.
Eat a healthy diet
- Consuming diet-rich foods such as fresh fruit and vegetables, high-quality protein, or omega-3 fatty acids, can help someone better cope with the stressors of life.
- Foods that contain carbohydrates and added sugars, such as most junk food, can cause blood sugar to fluctuate.
- When blood sugar spikes and drops, this can leave a person feeling tired, and irritable.
- Exercise releases endorphins, a chemical that triggers a positive feeling. Regular exercise can be a distraction from negative thoughts that fuel stress. Whether you decide to walk, run, take yoga,or dance, be sure to exercise mindfully and focus on the physical sensations as you move.
Engage your senses
- Becoming mindful of your environment can go a long way in improving one’s mood. The key is to engage the sense that works for you. Does listening to music make you calm? Or the smell of fresh coffee in the morning? Searching for the appreciation in the little things will only be beneficial to combating stress.
Connect with others
- Each of us is fighting a battle that someone knows nothing about. A simple act of kindness and taking face-to-face with someone can trigger hormones that alleviate intrusive thoughts and negative emotion. Spend time with those who provide comfort and support to your well-being. Creating a satisfying connection with someone can make your responsibilities and daily tasks seem less overwhelming.